Do you believe in "psychic" marketing?



I've been involved in the marketing field for almost 30 years, and in that time
I've seen amazing things I call "psychic" marketing. Things that defy rational
explanation, but which are powerful nevertheless.

For example, my friend Sherry runs a wholesale bakery.  She said the other day
she brought sample strawberry cheesecakes with her on a delivery run. It's
something she should do, but hadn't in a while.

She took them into restaurants who were not clients and gave samples to chefs
and managers. She said she got no orders from handing out the samples, but three
clients she hadn't heard from in a while suddenly reappeared and placed orders.
Coincidence?  I don't think so.

Another colleague emptied out an overstuffed file drawer packed with folders
from former clients. There was no room for new ones. The next day, he received a
call from an existing client for a new project that would more than double his
prior revenue from them. He created space for new work to come in, and it did.
Coincidence? I don't' think so.

My belief is that your intention and efforts at marketing your jewelry are a
strong signal to the world of prospects and clients.  You may not get responses
directly from recipients, or even right away. But pay attention to what happens
when you focus your attention on the outside world.  People will start paying
attention back, even if they weren't the subject of your marketing "gaze."

Here's one more example -- my own. The other day, I noticed I had very few
products pre-packaged and ready to ship.  I was also running out of my favorite
white mailing box.  My lack of preparedness was -- to me -- preventing me from
receiving orders, because it wouldn't be easy to process and mail them.

So, I called my box supplier and ordered a hundred more boxes, even though I
didn't have many orders. Once they arrived, something weird happened: I received
more orders in one week than I normally would in two months.  I went through
almost all the new boxes I had ordered.  I believe that my marketing efforts --
combined with preparing myself to receive and process orders -- was critical to
receiving them.

The take-home message: If you're not focusing on marketing your jewelry, you may
be sending a message to the outside world that you're not ready to sell it.  If
you don't have pieces ready to go, you may be sending the world a message that
you can't fulfill orders. If you have the jewelry but aren't well-prepared to
ship it, you may be sending the world a message that you can't deliver what you
have.

Remove any obstacles between you and your prospective customers.

Because when you reach out to others and show them beautiful jewelry you can
easily deliver, your message will be received and orders will flow your way.

Coincidence? I don't think so.

Now go make something great!

Labels: , , , ,